Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving Eve?

I'm baking pies. I've been baking bourbon pecan and mince meat with bourbon for the past few years. I believe I've found the missing ingredient my aunts used to use but never told anyone.



At any rate, I didn't have a crust for the mince meat. Crust is something to be mastered next year. So off to the store. It was packed! One thing crossed my mind like it does every Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve:




DOESN'T ANYBODY DO THEIR THANKSGIVING SHOPPING BEFORE THANKSGIVING EVE?




There we were. 200 men, obviously husbands, standing in line and each with a can of green beans, a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk and a can of cranberry sauce. In other words the things you'd think were impossible to forget since they've all been staples all of our lives.




Since men don't use shopping carts you heard the clank of green beans and cranberry sauce hitting the floor. Naturally they'd stoop to help each other and then you'd hear more cans clanking on the floor. Not me. No sir. I was dropping pie crusts while helping these guys with their cans. I went back 3 times to insure the crusts weren't broken.




THEN




After checking out all of the above for the past hour the clerk has the nerve to get on the intercom and say "need a price check on milk". You hear 200 men in unison cry out:




$2.99 for whole, $3.19 for 2%, $1.49 for bread, green beans are 2 for $0.99 and cranberry sauce is $0.89.




They've been checking this stuff out and they need a price check? What have they been doing all day? Doesn't anything sink in?




Oh good grief... I need a can of green beans... here we go again...

No comments: