Monday, August 04, 2008

Classic Literature Must Reads

This is such a touchy subject. As soon as I post this list I'm going to change it or somebody is going to criticize me for not including their favorite 'Classic Must Reads'.

Let me know what yours' are so they can be included. Don't think I'm so arrogant to suggest that my list is definitive. There are many classics I haven't read, 'A Brave New World' comes to mind, however, I just requested it from the local library. I should start reading it by the end of the week. To tell you the truth I love short stories. My mind rarely allows for novels because I drift and have to start over. These are a list of those which kept my attention from start to finish.

The list I concocted will be revised, and revised, and revised... As indicated, any book that can keep my attention is worth the read.

Here it is.

1884 - a frightening reality of a paperless society (memory holes) and liberal rule.
Tom Sawyer - this and Huck are simply awesome
Shane - the book is better than the movie, duh.
Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane's descriptive writing is remarkable.
Huckleberry Finn - See Tom Sawyer, above.
To Kill a Mockingbird - incredible.
Edgar Allen Poe - A wordsmith with an unbelievable imagination.
Sherlock Holmes - The plots are fascinating.
Agatha Christie - The queen of short stories.
Dairy of a Rat Man aka Willard - WHAT!? You scream in horror. Yeah, I liked it. Summer of '71!

This is it for the moment. The usual Shakespear and Sophocles are givens, however, I really don't care for them that much. Shakespear is great for understanding the King James Bible because you'll use a dictionary. You won't when you read the KJV and that's a shame.

No comments: