Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Church and Sermons

I had a gig at a local church this last week end. The music was a lot of fun and the musicians were very good. I've always enjoyed being asked to sub for my bass friend, who is an excellent player.

There were 2 services. After the first service I did my usual thing and sat up front to listen to the sermon. I don't know about you but I like being close to the front. There's a sense of involvement or participation up close that I don't get when sitting in the back. I'm not the type to sit and soak.

At any rate, the pastor did something I hadn't heard in a long time. He preached from the Bible and the Bible only. He didn't quote one single man. I was refreshed. Wow, I thought, this is great.

The Bible I took was the Holman translation. I don't like it and am going to put it back on the shelf for reference. One phrase was "God the parent". ACCK! It's supposed to be "God the Father". That's what the Greek says, I know I read Greek.

Back to the sermon. The pastor wasn't fiery or flamboyant. He just preached from the Bible. I hope the word gets out. If there's one thing we don't need it's sermons filled with what man has to say. That's why we're in deep trouble. God's Word is what we need to hear.

2 comments:

Buffalo Buffy said...

I like that too...especially if they tell meanings of words that aren't really translated properly. Or if they give some big historical background to the times or the people.

Don said...

Historical background is always welcome. Things like customs, geography, leaders, famous people etc... are important.