Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Language Barrier

Happy New Year!



I'm sitting here in front of the computer thinking about things that bug me. Do you have things that bug you? I have a few things, if you count several thousand as a few things.



Have you ever noticed that the next generation doesn't talk like the previous generation. The English classes of today are very similar to those that were used several generations ago. For some reason the next generation has always found it necessary to create a code language.



Call it rebellion.



Since the 1920's each generation has created it's own code speak. Does anybody really know what "23 skidoo" means? How about, "beat me daddy 8 to the bar"? I've yet to find anybody explain, "it's like, you know, like yeah!" to me.



One of the catch phrases of the past 60 years has been, "Nobody understands me". Have you ever wondered why?

1 comment:

angela said...

I try not to say "like"...especially when I am speaking/writing to you...:-) But I know I say it sometimes...so what is 23 skiddoo? And I reeeeaaaaalllyyy want to know about the daddy beating thing....what is that?